Richard Taylor and Weta Workshop Honored (Video)
Richard Taylor the the Weta Workshop team were honored this week at World Class New Zealand Awards.
Taylor co-founded special effects company Weta Workshop in 1994, along with Tania Rodger and film director Peter Jackson. Taylor has won five Oscars during a career for films such as The Lord of the Rings trilogy, King Kong and Heavenly Creatures.
The awards were presented on Wednesday night at aÂ gala dinner in Auckland:
For the last 15 years Weta Workshop – a special effects facility of which Taylor co-founded and is the creative director – has created models, makeup and monsters for movies like the Lord of the Rings trilogy and King Kong.
“He’s internationally recognised, he’s won five Oscars, so he’s hugely famous. He’s done such a fantastic job for New Zealand and really put New Zealand on the map,” says KEA’s global chairman Stephen Tindall.
The awards were organized by Kea New Zealand (of which Kiwibloke is a member) to promote World Class Excellence and creative talent in New Zealand.
2009 World Class New Zealand Awards
- Richard Taylor, supreme winner.
- Ray Avery, biotechnology.
- John Buchanan, finance, investment and business services.
- Jane Hunter, manufacturing.
- Peter Hunter, research, science, technology and academia.
- Phillip Mills, new thinking.
- Craig Nevill-Manning, information and communications technology.
- Karen Walker, creative industries.